Sunday, December 14, 2014

Week 15 | December 6- December 14, 2014

Happy Sunday! Here's a look back at the last week here in Israel:

 

 

^we made menorahs for Hanukah on Sunday night. It was so fun (and the first time I've done this since like second grade!)










 
^we went away for the weekend to a random city in the Negev (desert). It was a very interesting and different way to live life than is lived in central Israel. 



 

^Hanukah presents I made for everyone in my school and teachers. Can't wait to give all 85 out!

 

^^successfully crocheted my first Kippa :) This one's for you, Daddy 

So it's the holiday season, which in Israel means it's just Hanukah season, and I feel the impending holiday so closely. The lights, the donuts, and the general cheer in spite of the darkness and the cold (okay, it's not actually cold, it's Israel cold, ya know?) It's getting to that point in the year where I need to start, in some way, thinking about next year. It's weird to be 19-this is the first year in my entire life where I feel like it's actually my life. In a lot of ways it's amazing. I decide what I want to do to a large extent-where to go, what to eat, how to behave and act without my parents around. If I want coffee, I drink coffee. If I want to sleep in, I can sleep in. If I want to buy myself something, I buy it. In a lot of other ways it's so stressful-it's hard to realize that I am now in a position where I can make real decisions about the course of my life. I know this is only the beginning of many, many big decisions, and I know I'm so young, but it's definitely a weird feeling. In other news-when I look back at the last 3.5 months, I realize how much I've learned, both in and out of the classroom-how to crochet, how to take buses, how to say curse in hebrew, how to take buses in Israel, how to be independent and take care of myself, how to clean a duvet cover, how to be a good roommate. I'm not even halfway done here and I feel like even if I went home now, I'd have learned and gained so much. Right now I'm looking forward to Hanukah-I can't wait to give out the presents that I made for everyone and spend time celebrating the first Jewish holiday in two months. I have so many exciting things on the calendar, and I can't wait to share them all with you guys. So much love---Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday and Happy Hanukah! You've learned a lot in just a few months by putting yourself out there. Congratulations and keep it up! You'll never forget this year abroad!

    ReplyDelete